USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index USS Basilone DD/DDE824
The Official Site of the USS Basilone

Block Island

Post new topic   Reply to topic    USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index -> Lies and Tall Tales (i.e. Fishing)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Elliott
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Block Island Reply with quote Back to top

About 15 years ago three idiots in a 20ft fiberglass boat decided to try to make it to Block Island from Newport, chatter on the Marine band squawk box said the striper's were running off the sholls...

We tanked up, 25gals of gas the night before and at 0500 the next morning the weather was great, seas fair, had plenty of sand grab and squid...and a box full of sand worms ...just in case!"
Lets not forget the liquid refreshments!

We figured to troll once we got about half way there, and pick up a few good sized blues...didn't keep but the biggest one, about a 15 pounder.
Sighted Block Island around 0730 and sure enough, the striper's were there. Schools of "pogie" were everywhere and the blues were having a field day!

Under the blues were what we came for!

There were several boats already there and a couple of these jerks were motoring into the schools and trying to net the pogies to use for bait.
This irritated the rest of us to no end!
So we decided to move to the ones further away from these fools.

We found a good spot and I put the trolling motor in the water and set to rift with the movement of the school.
We baited up the poles, and no sooner than they hit the water we had "fish on".

We caught plenty of Blue fish...but the striper's weren't hitting on the bait, so one of the guy's decided to snag pogies and let it run...this worked...within a few minutes he had a bite...it looked like a big one too
One we got it aboard, it measured 42" and I'm guessing it weighed about 30lbs...we caught three more about the same size...and around 2pm we decided to call it a day.
On the way back, the wind shifted and we started to hit chop, this wasn't a serious deal...but it made the ride a little bumpy...about an hour into the trip dark clouds began to cover the once blue sky...this did not bode well!

It began to rain and the wind pick up...soon the swells and chop slowed us down to around 5 -7 kts...with the bow trimmed up and and the motor at fast idle...we creeped into Newport ...drenched...drunk...and beat to hell...we made the boat ramp at 6pm that day!

Never been back to Block Island sound! Though they tell me its nice!!

Last edited by Jim Elliott on Mon May 09, 2005 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Bob Talamo
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nice story .... newport was alway great fishing ... and block island i think i a big part of it ... same goes for montauge (sp) point off Long Island in NY ...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Jim Goodspeed
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: PACIFIC SALMON Reply with quote Back to top

This site would not be complete without a fish story from the Pacific.

Several years ago, I took my friend, Dave (GM2), salmon fishing on a six pack out of Ilwaco, Washington. These sport fishers carry six fishermen out over the Columbia Bar (where the U S Coastguard does its rescue boat training) catch a limit (two fish per) and get back into port as fast as possible. The local papers all carry a daily report on which boats limited and returned first for the week. Your fishing trip fees are based on this competative information. In this very competative environment, you use their gear, no alcohol, follow bait boy orders and no scrap fish in the boat. Scrap fish are anything not a King salmon or any salmon under 20 pounds.

We were mooching with cut anchovie baits and the bait boy gave strict orders, "only 10 pulls, anything deeper will get you black sea bass, and keep your bait fresh".

Well, Dave got mixed up and after about 15 pulls, he realized that he was too deep. Before he could reel it back he had a "fish on". The gear was light tackle with 12# test line to give the salmon a break. What Dave had was a hugh black sea bass. It broached the surface and looked to be about 35#. Could have been worse, we catch 300-400 # barn door halibut out here.

Well, Dave had never been salmon fishing, and this was the biggest fish he had ever experienced. He went spastic and actually tried to land it. While he was dancing with the bass, the bait boy reached out over the gunnel with a filleting knlfe and cut Dave's line.

Dave went into a deep pought, sat down on the deck with his back to the rail and began to bitch. The Skipper left the wheel house and told Dave if he didn't get off his ass, bait up and get back at the rail, he would throw him over the side so the boat could get back to port sooner. I pleaded with Dave to get a grip on himself and his rod and get fishing.

Dave regained his composure and caught his limit, two Kings (42# and 36#). I managed to get a limit, two Kings ( 32# each). The jackpot went to a first timer from Nebraska, a 54# King. We were second boat back in port in 3 hours and 40 minutes. Dave kept dry and still tells his grand children about that black sea bass.

And That's The Truth............................................................Jim

Jim Elliott
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Good Story!
Laughing

I have a brother-in-law "From KY." who likes to think is the ultimate angler...
A few years back, my sister and he came to visit and he wanted to go get a line wet!

So I asked him what he wanted to do - Fresh or Salt?

He said Well hell - since I'm this close to the ocean - lets go salt.

So I grabbed my two 12' surf rods (which he looked at with some concern)& a little old rod & reel combo I use for scupp; out of the shed and the tackle box - two cans of cat food (i'll come back to this)- loaded the truck with tackle and cooler (Let's not forget the liquid refreshments!) and Off We go!

Now its around 4pm - we stop for bait...this to him is a new experience as he either uses home-made bait or store bought tackle ... well I got a 2# of fresh squid, and a box of sandworms and said,
"Jerry - be careful these worms bite."
He laughs! - I didn't say another word...
Took him out to Seakonet Point where the open ocean comes in to Narragansett toward Providence and Fall River.
Unloaded the gear and walked all the way out to the end of the Break Wall.
We were the only ones there! Unbelievable - I said!

I took a can of cat food and poked several holes in it - ran some line through it and tied it off to a float and a sinker and threw it in the drink as far as I could.
Jerry said, What's that for? - I said, Chum...that and the smell -
He laughed again...
Jerry has a few fish mounted on his "I'm so Great wall, a couple of small mouth Bass and one Lg mouth...nice fish too - for fresh water..
I showed him how to set up the rig on one pole and he did the other, and I said you use the Squid and I'll do the worms - because if your not careful...so he laughs again and opens the box and startsw poking his finger through the seaweed and - BINGO - 'Worm On!'
After a second or two of doe -ci -doe on the rocks - we get the poles set and into the water.
I told him that we might have to wait a while for the fish to find us - he didn't laugh this time!
So I set up the little pole and showed him how to fish for scupp.
He had a literal ball catching these...similar to Blue-Gill.but larger...some can get as big a 6 or 7 pounds...He was in heaven!

About 1/2 an hour goes by and one of the big poles starts clicking - I told Jerry to drop that pole and grab the other one and he did.
The drag went.ClickClick..Click....Click.ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I yelled Hook HIM!!!

He gave the rod a yank and "Fish ON!

After about 15 minutes he had landed a salt water Trout or Squitegue as they're know around here.
About 28 pounds and almost three feet long!

We caught two more trout and one bass in the next copuple of hours...

The smile never left his face the whole time he was here!!! Wink

Bob Talamo
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nice story ... wishing it was longer

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Jim Goodspeed
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: On Getting Old Reply with quote Back to top

I love to fish salt water, it is my second favorite passtime. So back when I was just turning 60, the office staffers come to me (jeeze, I felt like the old man and the sea) and asked if I would organize an office charter fishing trip. What do you want to catch, I ask. Don't know, don't care is the answer. What do you suggest ?

We settle on a bottom fishing trip to the Farrallon Islands, 26 miles outside the Golden Gate. Everyone will catch fish and they get a spectacular sunrise boat ride under the Golden Gate. Nice touch and a day at sea.

We charter the Sea Gull II out of Emeryville and 42 beginners line up in the dawn's early light to get on board. Only three have ever been fishing and I am the only one who has ever been to sea other than the crew of the fisher. Fred asks about sea sickness and should he have had breakfast ? I tell him hell, yes and share the greasy pork chop story with him. They single up the lines and he turns green.

All the guys are egaging in macho bull shit stories, drinking beer and enjoying the ride. They are casting a wary eye at the gals on board. Yes about half of the fisher persons are gals, what could they possibly know about fishing the open seas ?

Two hours later, we have reached the islands and bottom fishing 101 has begun. First the four pound weight goes on the quick release, then the live anchovy on about three feet of leader and a three way hook. I must say, the gals had less trouble threading the anchovies than some of the guys. We are on glass calm seas, Fred is still green.

Down go the rigs in 250 of water and up come the fish. The Ling Cod are hitting and you can take eight. The gunny sacks are filling nicely. We relocate after the first flurry and start taking Rock Cod, California Flounder and Black Sea Bass. One of the gals wants to know who is going to eat all this fish ?

In a quiet moment, I look around the boat and realize that I really am the old man and the sea. I'm twenty years older than the next oldest person on the boat. I've got to retire so I can do more fishing and have less to do with youngsters who make me feel old.

Fred spends the entire day on the focsle being green, I catch 310 pounds of bottom fish and all the gals get their eight Ling Cod. The jackpot goes to an 18 pound Ling caught by Miss Quan, my Viet Namese secretary and the guys drink too much beer and don't do well in the fish department.

The bait boy cleans the fish and makes scrap offerings to the host of gulls as we come home under the Golden Gate. Fred is still green. I took my fish home and the very next day submitted my retirement paperwork.

Saw Fred at my retirement party, he had regained his normal color and still didn't believe the greasy pork chop story. I have been retired five years and to my knowledge the guys have never taken the gals fishing again.

And That's The Truth...............................................Jim

Bill McCombs
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Let me tell you about "Boiler Cat"!

Onboard the USS Penscaola, LSD-38. Just came thru the Panama Canal with a load of Army personal to drop off on an island off the coast Hondurous. The Army was supposed to have boats on stand-by to off load us in a day, but they didn't. So we broke out the fishing poles went up to the cooks and asked for a package of hotdogs, we got abot a doz. Dropped our lines in about 40 foot of water, picked out the chuck we were going to sit on and Bang "Fish On" We pulled up Channel Cats ranging in size from 15 to 35 pounds! So many the cooks were told not to cook them for us. So we aquired some butter, some tin foil and headed for the fireroom. Opened up the stm. drum cover and placed our wrapped Catfish fillets on a piece of sheet metal. Waited about 10-12 minutes and out came the best catfish I ever put in my mouth!
Only one problem with our plan, CO's state room was just forward of the space vents and the smell of them cooking filled his stateroom! He showed up with a plate and silverware and after catching our breath offered him some. He liked it and asked us to deliver a couple to his cook for the next nights dinner which we caught for him an hour before he needed them. This CO also allowed a fresh water washdown where he started the water battle with a firehose. He had gotten premission to anchor and have swim call in the lake in the middle of Panama. Great Fishing and a great CO

GaryStrike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great story, Bill. I really enjoyed reading it! I love the part where your CO came down for some fresh fish. He sounded like a people's person.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index -> Lies and Tall Tales (i.e. Fishing) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: