USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index USS Basilone DD/DDE824
The Official Site of the USS Basilone

Seattle & Pacific Northwest Websites For Travel Planning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index -> Reunion Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muldoon
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Seattle & Pacific Northwest Websites For Travel Planning Reply with quote Back to top

The Pacific Northwest summer days are getting longer as I write this in mid-June. Sunrise is right after 5am (0500) and sunset is after 9pm (2100). On the 4th of July we wait until after 10pm (2200) for it to get dark enough to watch Fireworks shot from the Space Needle.

If you like to use the internet to research your travel plans, I have tried to include them in my previous posts. www.visitSeattle.com is a good place to begin and it contains suggested walking tours and other activities.

Fishing and Surfing are popular in Westport, Washington which is on the coast 2 hours west of Olympia, which is on Puget Sound. www.ExperienceWestport.com has information and a schedule of special events, like a shellfish festival and also a trail of flea markets on the weekend of September 20th.

www.SeattleRefined.com is a website of things to do. It is connected with www.KOMONews.com. KOMO (pronounced like Perry Como) channel 4 is the local ABC affiliate. On radio KOMO AM1000 & 97.7FM. While I'm on the subject of TV & radio stations: KING5 is the local NBC station. Classic KING 98.1 is Classical Music. KIRO (pronounced like Cairo, Egypt) Channel 7 is the CBS affiliate. KIRO AM 710 is the ESPN radio connection and KIRO FM 97.3 is NewsTalk Radio. KCPQ aka Q13 is FOX television and PBS is both KCTS channel 9 (Seattle) and KBTC channel 12 (Tacoma).

Victoria and Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada are popular tourist destinations. From Port Angeles, Washington, on the Strait of Juan de Fuca, you can take the Black Ball Ferry "Coho" across to Victoria.

From Seattle, you take the Victoria Clipper hydrofoil. You can also fly from SeaTac to Victoria on Horizon Air and from Lake Union in Seattle on Kenmore Air. It is also possible to drive up to Anacortes, Washington and take Washington State Ferries to Vancouver Island.

PASSPORTS are needed to go to and return from Canada.

If you are on an Alaska Cruise which disembarks in Vancouver, BC, there is a bus service from the Cruise Terminal which can take you across the border and down to SeaTac Airport. If you arrive at SeaTac on September 13th or 14th you can call Jim Goodspeed for the Basilone Reunion Mini-Van to bring you from SeaTac to the hotel in Auburn. As I recall, reservations on the Vancouver to SeaTac Red Bus are required. Going through Customs and Immigration at the Canada/U.S. border requires you to get off of the bus and bring your luggage through for clearing customs. Use your favorite search engine to get the best info.

Good Luck and Happy Travels,

Bob Terhune, Seattle Reunion Co-Host

Post new topic   Reply to topic    USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index -> Reunion Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: