USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index USS Basilone DD/DDE824
The Official Site of the USS Basilone

2014 Seattle/Pacific Northwest Reunion Sports Teams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index -> Reunion Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muldoon
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: 2014 Seattle/Pacific Northwest Reunion Sports Teams Reply with quote Back to top

Seattle and the Pacific Northwest are home to several sports teams you may recognize.

The Seattle Seahawks of the NFC West won the 2014 Super Bowl XLVIII. Their home turf is CenturyLink Field, known as the "CLink" and it sits roughly on the former location of the KINGDOME, which was imploded.

The Seattle Mariners of the AL West play in Safeco Field, the "Safe", which is just South of the CLink. The Mariners' Mascot is the Mariner Moose. In the old Pacific Coast League, the Seattle Rainiers played here.

The Tacoma Rainiers of the Pacific Coast League play in Cheney Stadium.
The Rainiers mascot is "Rhubarb the Reindeer". The Rainiers are a AAA farm club of the Mariners, which makes it easy to bring up players quickly to the big league team.

Up in Everett, WA the Mariners have a Single-A farm team, the Everett AquaSox.

In Major League Soccer (MLS) we have the Seattle Sounders FC. They play in the Seahawks stadium, the CLink.

The Portland, Oregon MLS team is the Portland Timbers.

In the old Pacific Coast League (PCL) the Portland Beavers played. I think that team folded 3 or 4 years ago.

Portland Trivia: The Little League Girls Softball World Series is played each year in Portland's "Alpenrose Stadium" which is located near the Alpenrose Dairy, a major sponsor. Alpenrose Dairy provides ice cream to all of the Baskin-Robbins 31 Flavors Ice Cream Parlors in this region.

Hockey fans may recognize the Seattle Thunderbirds and the Idaho Steelheads.

The WNBA has the Seattle Storm, who used to be partnered with the former Seattle SuperSonics. The Sonics are now the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Finally, for Roller Derby fans, we have the "Rat City Roller Girls" and their 4 teams, the "Sockit Wrenches", the "Throttle Rockets", the "Grave Danger" and the "Derby Liberation Front".

I am certain there are more teams I have forgotten, but that is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index -> Reunion Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: