USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index USS Basilone DD/DDE824
The Official Site of the USS Basilone

DALLAS 2017

Post new topic   Reply to topic    USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index -> Reunion News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Goodspeed
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: DALLAS 2017 Reply with quote Back to top

Shipmates:

If you asked me to predict where we will go for reunion after Wilmington, NC, my best guess would be Dallas , Texas for some rodeo, BBQ and "boot Scootin' ". So.......start practicing your Western drawl and dust off your boots for 2017.

Jim

Chris
Ships Store Keeper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

who has stepped up
If a day goes by that you have not learned something, you have wasted that day!

Philip E Poplaski
Association President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Dallas Reunion Reply with quote Back to top

I believe that Step has stepped up. That would be Frank Stepka.

Jim Goodspeed
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Scuttle Butt, Dallas, Texas Reply with quote Back to top

My previous prediction for the 2017 Basilone Reunion in Dallas, Texas is based on discussions with Frank Stepka at the Santa Fe Reunion. Frank is excited about hosting, asked which year might be available, and told me he would begin planning and seeking a reasonable host hotel after the Holidays.

Well, it is after the Holidays and i believe Frank is a man of his word. We discussed potential host hotels convenient to Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. We also discussed world famous Texas BBQ joints and "boot scootin' dance halls" in the Fort Worth Area.

LOOKING FORWARD TO DALLAS, 2017...............Jim

STEP
Ships Store Keeper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Dallas is mine Reply with quote Back to top

I started the preliminary planning of a reunion in Dallas the week after I left the Santa Fe reunion. I'm currently at the 75% mark. Unless someone squeaks in before me, DALLAS WILL BE READY FOR 2017.

Do I hear any suggested dates? Or should I stick with the September timeframe?

Step[/img]

Geoffrey Bender
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I suggest mid to late October.

Chris
Ships Store Keeper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nov 4 is John Basilones birthday
If a day goes by that you have not learned something, you have wasted that day!

Jim Goodspeed
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: DALLAS PLANNING Reply with quote Back to top

Frank......The dates are your call. October and early November have usually worked best for all hands. The trick is to predict Texas weather.

When I hosted the 2014 Seattle Reunion,I had a real task.....find a period when Seattle's rains would have least impact on the event. We were blessed with seven days of sunshine in September. I lived there for 18 years and had NEVER SEEN that much sunshine on consecutive days.......we were lucky.

Timing effects hotel costs. After Labor Day, costs traditionally become lower. Try to avoid major events. In Seattle, we dodged SeaFair when hotel rooms book a year in advance.

Consider the possibility of a rodeo event. This would be novel for most folks. Dee and I follow the rodeo circuit.

The timing of Santa Fe was as good as it gets.....Wine and Chili Fiesta.

Take charge and above all else "have fun with the event"..........Jim

STEP
Ships Store Keeper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: 2017 TEXAS REUNION Reply with quote Back to top

Attention all hands, this is where I introduce myself and let you know that I’ll be hosting the
2017 Reunion in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Frank Stepka, Sn- 1st. Division from 1970-73
Although Cleveland, Ohio was my “Home of Record”, after the Navy, my wife and I moved to Texas. We’ve been here for the past 36 years and yes, I call it home. Now, I’d like to share my home with you.
This year’s reunion will be held in Arlington, Texas (halfway between Dallas and Fort Worth). On the Fort Worth side, there’s a tour of the stockyards with a cattle drive. “Cowtown” boasts to be “Where the West Begins”. Over in Dallas, We’ll visit Dealey Plaza and the 6th Floor Museum, the site of the Kennedy assassination. You be the judge, was it a lone gunman? There’s plenty of history and loads of souvenir shopping that you won’t want to miss! I’ve set the dates, October 16-21, so mark them on your calendar and get ready for a piece of Texas that you won’t forget.
The details will be completed shortly after the New Year begins. Watch for it on the USS Basilone website and our Facebook page.
Sincerely,
Frank “Step” Stepka

Post new topic   Reply to topic    USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index -> Reunion News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: