USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index USS Basilone DD/DDE824
The Official Site of the USS Basilone

ROBOT SHIPS (sea platforms) MARK THE END OF SHIP'S REUNIONS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index -> Reunion News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Goodspeed
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: ROBOT SHIPS (sea platforms) MARK THE END OF SHIP'S REUNIONS Reply with quote Back to top

The post on the Robot Ship, Sea Hunter, has been removed because it did not please some that it was posted with reunion news.

I would like to answer Dave's question concerning the appropriateness of the Robot Ship post. The emergence of Robot Ships has EVERYTHING to do with ship's reunions. Here is why.

The Navy has gone through a series of "Sea State Changes" in its valiant history. The change from sail to steam ended crews climbing in the yards and ended the age of "rocks and scholes" . The change from coal fires to oil fires ended the age of the "Black Gang". The conversion from oil fires to nuclear power ended the age of "Snipes". The change from crewed ships to robot sea platforms will end the age of " foreign liberty ports, crew comradery and ship's reunions"

When crews no longer share the bond of shipboard life, reunions are obsolete. The USS Basilone Association with our wonderful history of annual reunions is a remarkable experience which we have been privleged to share. We may experience the end of the ship's reunion as we all know it .It is certain that we will witness the end of USS Basilone Reunions. We should enjoy the wonder of the moment and make every effort to attend.

These are my thoughts, I hope you can see why I posted a Robot Ship item in this topic area.

SEE YOU IN NORTH CAROLINA...........Jim

Chris
Ships Store Keeper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

the post was not removed
just relocated to the MESS DECKS
it seemed more appropriate there than here
I see why you would relate the unmanned ships of the future to reunions
but most of our sailor minds (like mine) do not tend to rationalize that deep
but the info was enlightening anyway
If a day goes by that you have not learned something, you have wasted that day!

Jim Goodspeed
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: WE SHOULD PLAN A FUTURE REUNION TO A ROBO-SHIP PORT Reply with quote Back to top

The Robo-Ship, Sea Hunter is currently undergoing Sea Trials off the coast of Oregon. After it joins the 7th Fleet in San Diego, perhaps we should pay it a visit.

I was certain that the original Robo-Ship post had just been relocated.
Thanks for helping me find it, Chris.

Help me find a reunion host in the Northeast......the crew needs a hand up with air travel costs rising. I have plenty of Western hosts "champing at the bit", but we need to rein in travel costs and enhance attendance by coming East. What are your thoughts ?

CALM SEAS AND QUARTERING WINDS..............Jim

Chris
Ships Store Keeper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

thanks Jim
I think Step has a handle on '17
I am all for doing the middle of the country as much as possible
that will make it easier for all to travel
maybe after Dallas some one can look at Denver or CO Springs
or maybe a return to Branson or maybe even St Louis or Memphis
anyone else have ideas or want to step up

Jim Goodspeed
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: SEEKING HOSTS FOR MID-CONTINENT REUNION SITES Reply with quote Back to top

SHIPMATES

Chris's suggestion is sound. Mid-continent sites are mutually convenient for all hands.

Dallas (2017) meets this goal.
New Orleans/American Queen Cruise (2018) meets this goal.

We should seek hosts in the following , interesting regions:

- Denver, Colorado
- Black Hills, South Dakota
- Memphis, Tennessee
- St. Louis, Missouri
- Green Bay, Wisconsin
- Paduca, Kentucky
- Kansas City, Missouri
- Bowling Green , Kentucky
- Nashville, Tennessee
- Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Little Rock, Arkansas
- Houston, Texas
- Branson, Missouri
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Jackson Hole, Wyoming

Who will "step up" and share their home area with shipmates? You do not really need to live at the reunion site......Charleston (2001) was hosted from Columbia......Maine (2005) was hosted from Northern California....Seattle (2014) was hosted from Northern California, Santa Fe (2015) was hosted from Alamogordo. All these reunions were hosted from a distance of 120 to 3000 miles away.

I have offers from promoters for free introductory travel to investigate siting reunions in most of these regions. Select a site, step up, enjoy a free weekend exploring and host your shipmates. Hosting a reunion is the most fun you can have planning a $35,000 party with other folks money.

Contact me and I'll help you get'er done.................Jim

Chris
Ships Store Keeper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

we may have a possible host in WI for '18
stay tuned

Jim Goodspeed
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: USS Basilone Reunion 2018 Reply with quote Back to top

Chris

Please continue to develop the potential Wisconsin host for 2018 and let me know if I can help.

The New Orleans cruise on the steamboat American Queen is a work in progress and should be used as a backup plan. It can be moved back to 2019 quite easily. I am concerned that if I am unable to negotiate a " two for one " special rate the cruise becomes too expensive for many shipmates . I am trying to get a cruise rate comparable to regular hotel costs.

The beauty of this cruise is that it is all inclusive.....you pay one price and everything is included except travel to the boat, mixed drinks and purchases in the gift shop. Those who drive can store their vehicles at the Slidel, LA Elks lodge and they will get us to the boat by shuttle. We do this when we drive there in our motor home.

Our memorial service would be on board the USS Kidd, pier side in Baton Rouge. All shore excursions are included and take the place of the usual tours. All dinners include complimentary beer and wines, there is a live show every evening and dancing to a live orchestra. It is a package deal ... and you will like this part.....no Jerry.

See you down the road.......................Jim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index -> Reunion News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: