USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index USS Basilone DD/DDE824
The Official Site of the USS Basilone

NEW ORLEANS, 2018 REUNION

Post new topic   Reply to topic    USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index -> Reunion Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Goodspeed
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: NEW ORLEANS, 2018 REUNION Reply with quote Back to top

SHIPMATES:

Exciting reunion events require early planning. This announcement is designed to determine your interest in a MISSISSIPPI RIVER CRUISE on the AMERICAN QUEEN, the world's largest river showboat. Your responses will determine whether planning goes forward to negotiate and book this reunion cruise.

Here is an overview. Scheduled in late October, after the Summer heat and humidity, the cruise spends five days on the MISSISSIPPI RIVER, slowed to river speed, 8 knots. Your host is the all-American crew of the paddlewheel steamboat American Queen. Engine Room and Pilot House tours are included. You will NOT BE ON THE WATCH BILL.

Day One: Arrive and check into your complimentary New Orleans, four star riverfront hotel. Dinner on your own, trolley access to the riverfront and French Quarter is available.

Day Two: Complimentary breakfast and city tour of New Orleans. Luggage transfer to the American Queen. Settle into your stateroom. Lifeboat drill, dinner, Broadway style show and dancing; did I mention that wine and beer are complimentary with your four course dinner each evening?

Day Three: Breakfast, cross the levee to be greeted by anti-bellum gowned Southern Belles for your included tour of Oak Alley. Return to your stateroom for lunch with complimentary sodas, cappachinos and snacks on the "Front Porch of America" available daily. Underway for Natchez; enjoy the river sunset, dinner, show and dancing.

Day Four: Breakfast, coach transfer to your choice of up to three, complimentary anti-bellum Natchez mansion tours. Lunch, lazy afternoon on the river, dinner, show and dancing. You may wish to have a drink in the Engine Room Bar or the Texas Bar. Underway for Baton Rouge.

Day Five: Breakfast, coach transfer to choice of as many as three museums and the State Capitol. Lunch, cross the pier for our memorial service on board a Viet Nam Era destroyer. Return for river sunset, dinner, show and dancing. Underway for New Orleans.

Day Six: Breakfast, transfer to airport available. Consider extending your stay in the "Big Easy" and enjoy tours to the Cajun Region, a Swamp tour or Mardi Gras Land at extra cost.

Speaking of cost, you pay one price and once you begin your cruise on the American Queen everything is included except purchases in the gift shop and mixed drinks in the two bars. The 2015 cost per person for this all inclusive cruise was $1,900 for a veranda stateroom and $1,700 for a bay window stateroom. Reduced fares may be negotiated depending on reunion guest participation.

Interested; call 1 (888) 749 5280 and ask for an American Queen Steamboat Company brochure.

AND let me know by responding to this post. Let's go cruising on the MISSISSIPPI in 2018...........................Jim

Jim Goodspeed
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: 162 READS, NO RESPONSES Reply with quote Back to top

Considering the cost of this cruise takes some imagination. The cost is per person and includes all your meals, tours, shore transportation, beer and wine with dinner, refreshments, nightly dancing to a live orchestra, nightly shows and travel to four ports of call. If you total up your costs for a traditional reunion, this cruise is a real value.

Did I mention that I will try for "two for one" veteran's appreciation cruise price. This is quite often offered on a shoulder season cruise.

Give me some input.............Shall I move this cruise up to 2017 since the Florida Reunion is now cancelled ? WHAT DO YOU THINK ?

Jim

Jim Goodspeed
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: NEW ORLEANS CRUISE NEGOTIATIONS Reply with quote Back to top

Dee and I are loyal American Queen cruise guests and have special opportunities for future cruises aboard the "Queen". We hope to negotiate a very special cruise offer for 2018 USS Basilone Reunion guests. To do this we will attempt to get 16 couples to join us on the cruise in early October, 2018 .

Watch this web site topic for details as they develop and get ready to visit the "Big Easy" and cruise the mighty Mississippi.

SEE YOU ON THE SHOWBOAT.............Dee and Jim

Chris
Ships Store Keeper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

your statement about the cost of reunions made me curious
I had never sat and tried to figure it before
did some digging into old bills
during this calendar year I attended 4 ships reunions
two of them with Ellen
our cost: reunion tours & banquet
hotels & transportation <$4000.00
your cost of $1700 (per person) doesn't include transportation
if a deal can be worked out as you suggested to make it per stateroom
it may be acceptable
the transportation phase this year included flights to Seattle for one reunion
with continuation flights to Phoenix, Albuquerque and car rental to Santa Fe
also my alone transportation to Nashville and Chicago for other reunions
although I would definitely love to do a river cruise
I would have to convince the boss
If a day goes by that you have not learned something, you have wasted that day!

Jim Goodspeed
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: MISSISSIPPI RIVER CRUISE IS A TWOFER THIS YEAR Reply with quote Back to top

I am encouraged by the current, 2016 fare offer for the 5 Day Mississippi River cruise.

If we can negotiate a similar fare for the 2018 cruise, the cost could come in at $2,000 PER COUPLE for a river view stateroom and $2,200 PER COUPLE for a veranda stateroom. This makes the cruise a real value.

I NEED SOME RESPONSES to this possibility. Come on you REGULARS, what do you think ?

Thanks..........................Jim

Jim Goodspeed
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: SAILORS LOVE TO BITCH Reply with quote Back to top

Response to my suggestions has been amazing.............NOT. Thanks Chris.

So.................I am going to get negotiating with the management of American Queen Steamboat Company............Chris, I'll leave the negotiating with your BOSS up to you.

Here's how our future reunions stack up:

2016............................Wilmington, NC, Approved, Papescas Hosting
2017.............................Dallas, Texas, Stepka potential host,planning
2018.............................New Orleans,Mississippi River, Goodspeed negotiating
2019.............................Site TBD, seeking host

We can use a host in the Northeast, it's time to bring our reunion there.

Calm Winds and Quartering Seas...................Jim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index -> Reunion Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: