USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index USS Basilone DD/DDE824
The Official Site of the USS Basilone

2015 REUNION HOSTS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index -> Reunion Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Goodspeed
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: 2015 REUNION HOSTS Reply with quote Back to top

It is time to begin thinking about a Reunion Host for 2015. A presentation needs to be made to the guests at the Seattle, Pacific Northwest 2014 reunion in just four Months. The guests will need to approve this presentation to establish the site for the 2015 Reunion.

At the 2013 Reunion in Gettysburg, the following potential Reunion Hosts were considering future Reunions:

- Joan and Richard Papesca..............North Carolina
- Linda and Bob Clancy....................Cincinnati, Ohio
- Drew Simmons.............................New Orleans, Louisiana

As Reunion Host Coordinator, I would appreciate a message from any interested future Host. Please e-mail me at jwgoodspeed@gmail.com or call me at (530) 621-3914 if you would like to host a future reunion. You may share your unique region with your shipmates and select your year.

Kind Regards.......................Jim Goodspeed

Jim Goodspeed
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: FUTURE REUNION HOST CHANGES Reply with quote Back to top

SHIPMATES:

There have been changes in the developing list of REUNION HOSTS. These changes effect the order of proposed reunions, not the locations.

THESE LOCATIONS AND DATES ARE UNDER DISCUSSION:

> 2015 Cincinnati, Ohio

> 2016 North Carolina

> 2017 New Orleans, Louisiana

If you are an interested, potential REUNION HOST, contact Jim Goodspeed at jwgoodspeed@gmail.com or (530) 621-3914.

Regards..........................Jim

Jim Goodspeed
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reunion Host Developments Reply with quote Back to top

SHIPMATES:

For those WAITING FOR A REUNION TO HAPPEN IN THE EAST, "Forget about it".

The potential 2015 Reunion Host will propose NEW MEXICO.

The potential 2016 Reunion Host will propose NORTH CAROLINA.

The potential 2017 Reunion Host will propose NEW ORLEANS.

The potential 2018 Reunion Host will propose JACKSON HOLE, WYOMING

IF YOU WANT A CONVENIENT REUNION IN THE EAST, STEP UP.

Regards.......................Jim

Dave
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Embarassed The last time I looked North Carolinia was in the East not sure what georgraphy book you were looking in.

Jim Goodspeed
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: THE EAST Reply with quote Back to top

East is a RELATIVE term. From my home, Texas is a seven day drive to the EAST so TEXAS is EAST. We drove to San Antonio in 2008. The reunion was poorly supported. A single hotel room was used for a hospitality suite.

The point that I was making is that very few of the upcoming reunions are in the ORIGINAL THIRTEEN COLONIES and we need to develop hosts in the EAST. The minute a reunion comes WEST , folks do not support it.

SEATTLE is as good as it gets, but folks are not buying it. ONLY ELEVEN crew members are supporting SEATTLE. The crew needs to support those willing to host or reunions will lapse.

I am delighted that a host has stepped up in North Carolina, it is only a fourteen day drive EAST and it will be supported. The prospect of a North Carolina reunion is destroying SEATTLE attendance. It will impact the 2015 reunion. A NEW MEXICO host has stepped up, but it is not EAST. It is a four day drive EAST from my home, but folks from the EAST may choose to wait for North Carolina.

I have many willing hosts for WESTERN REUNIONS. WESTERN REUNIONS are poorly supported. Poorly attended WESTERN REUNIONS will deplete USS Basilone Association funds and destroy future reunions.

The crew is "cherry picking " reunions. BiG support for the EAST, but NO HOSTS. The article was intended to develop EASTERN HOSTS. Absent EASTERN HOSTS, our future reunions and our Association will fail.

Regards......................Jim

Chris
Ships Store Keeper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

here is the break down of attendance by number of shipmates

'96 New Jersey-34 (East)
'98 Maryland-68 (East)
'99 Norfolk-65 (first homeport)
'00 Newport-70 (homeport)
'01 Charleston-82 (highest attendance) (East)
'02 Placerville-33 (West)
'03 Buffalo-63 (East)
'04 Branson-30 (Mid)
'05 Portland ME-41 (East)
'06 Newark NJ-22 (East)
'07 San Diego-23 (West)
'08 San Antonio-21 (Mid)
'09 Chicago-30 (Mid)
'10 Sarasota FL-29 (East)
'11 Newport-50 (homeport)
'12 Syracuse NY-19 (East)
'13 Gettysburg PA-48 (East)
'14 Seattle-15 (lowest attendance) (West)
If a day goes by that you have not learned something, you have wasted that day!

Last edited by Chris on Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:44 am; edited 2 times in total

Jim Goodspeed
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: THANKS CHRIS Reply with quote Back to top

CHRIS:

Please e-mail these figure to me at jwgoodspeed@gmail.com.

You may add Seattle as it displaces the previous "Reunion Low" with ELEVEN SHIPMATES. Fortunately we have many other guests and the current count of registered guests is 34.

Thanks...................Jim

Geoffrey Bender
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In the topic “Who’s coming to Seattle”, I counted 17 shipmates; only 4 of them are from the West Coast. At the 2002 Placerville reunion out of the 33 shipmates attending, there were only 5 from the West Coast (I couldn’t find 2 of the 33 shipmates on the ship’s rosters I have). At the 2007 San Diego reunion out of 21 shipmates attending there were only 5 from the West Coast (I show 21 shipmates on my list not the 24 that Chris shows on his).

In a previous post you state “WESTERN REUNIONS are poorly supported”, howerver shipmates in the West are NOT supporting/attending the Western reunions. Since Western Reunions are not being supported why have them there?

Jim Goodspeed
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: EXCELLENT POINT Reply with quote Back to top

Great reply !

This topic was submitted to stimulate discussion.

In 2001, the reunion had never been held outside the ORIGINAL THIRTEEN COLONIES. Dee and I drove (We can not fly) to Charleston and brought the 2002 reunion to California. We hosted 96 guests including locals, but as you point out, only a few were USS Basilone crew members from the WEST.

In 2005, we hosted the reunion in Saco, ME from California. We did this to prove that you could host a reunion anywhere in the USA from any location.
It does help to host the reunion in your home area where you have local knowledge. We hosted the Maine reunion because no one from the EAST stepped up. Once again, we drove, and the reunion was well attended.

In 2007, we hosted the reunion in San Diego from Alaska. We were "snowed in" at Muncho Lake British Columbia, Canada during the reunion and could not get home to attend. We brought this reunion back to California because John Basilone was stationed out of Camp Pendleton during most of his career. This was a total surprise to many reunion guests. Once again, we had limited attendance from the WEST.

In 2013, we drove to Gettysburg and offered to host the reunion in Seattle with Bob and Shirley Terhune. We did this because no one had stepped up from the EAST. The 2014 Seattle reunion will be the smallest reunion on record and the 2015 reunion needs to be in the EAST. No one is stepping up.

Frank Cowling is considering New Mexico, a great location, for the 2015 reunion. But, New Mexico is in the WEST and may be poorly attended.

We are in total agreement. USS Basilone reunions should be held more often in the EAST. Only a limited number of shipmates live in the WEST, about 6% by my count. Reunions come to the WEST when no one steps up in the EAST. We need a 2015 host in the EAST, but at this time, we have a potential host in New Mexico.

We need a large, well attended reunion in the EAST in 2015. My thanks go to Frank Cowling for stepping up.......................Jim

Chris
Ships Store Keeper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I base my attendance from the signatures in the sign in log
but I may have to revise my figures for the 13 reunion down
probably by 2 or 3 shipmates
I have compiled two lists of attendance
mostly based on the log as stated
I didn't bring the log home after Gettysburg so had to go by my spread sheets compiled during the planning process
a couple didn't show that had sent in forms and I neglected to update my list by year before eliminating my reunion paper work
the only one I know of those opting out at the last minute was Cliff Gorham
but I have asked Frank for conformation on the others
we have had 249 total shipmates attending the reunions
that is that have attended at least one reunion
Phil is the only one not to miss a reunion
if you want a copy of the lists I can send them
one is in Word and the other in Excel............
you can email me or PM me here if you want them
my count of the attendees shown here is 18 for this reunion

Last edited by Chris on Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Chris
Ships Store Keeper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

reunions are fun to attend and enough fun to plan and host
I served on 7 ships during my time in the Navy
all of which were homeported on the east coast
of the 7, 5 have yearly reunions
of these I have attended 40 since '93
every where from Seattle to Portland ME
from San Diego to Sarasota FL
most have been hosted by shipmates
one ship has a shipmate that started his own reunion company after retiring from the Navy he hosts all their reunions or at least coordinates them
kind of like what Jerry does
the only reunion I found as good by a reunion company as what has been done by shipmates is Branson, MO............... have been to Branson twice............ once done by a shipmate and once by a reunion company that does mostly Branson and works in Branson............... both were outstanding reunions and would go back again............ I missed the one in '04 because of conflicts.............
I also have hosted 3 reunions.............. 2 of them Basilone reunions........... boss won't let me host any more............
anyway............ I will be unable to attend this year because of conflicts and the boss said she is not missing another year at Ocean City with the girls............... I will support where ever the reunion is next year as long as there is no conflict with other plans...........

Dave
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I also have conflict as the two I attend is usually the same week in Sept. As a Chaplain on the Randolph reunion committee I need to attend it. I skipped it last year as we had family visits in New York that we needed to attend.

Dave.

Jim Goodspeed
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Hosting A Reunion Reply with quote Back to top

Dee and I have Hosted four USS Basilone Reunions since 2002; Placerville, CA, Saco, ME, San Diego, CA and now Seattle, WA. We have attended seven reunions; no small feat because we can not fly. We drive to all Reunions in our motor home. By the time we wish our guests "Safe Journey Home" after the Seattle Reunion, we will have logged over 27,000 miles in our motor home for Reunion travel.

We do not have conflict problems because I only served on two ships: as a white hat (ET3) on USS Tawakoni, ATF 114 at Pearl Harbor and as DCA and MPA on USS Basilone DD 824 at Newport.

I went from Basilone to the Navy Construction Battalions (SeaBees). Their reunions are usually in Port Hueneme, CA, Gulf Port MS or Quonset Point, RI.

We have enjoyed Hosting and encourage others to step up and Host. We do need more Hosts in the East. With the Seattle, Pacific Northwest Reunion in 2014, I am retiring as a Host. I will continue to develop future Hosts and Reunion Sites. I will continue to assist other Hosts and look forward to attending many future USS Basilone Reunions.

If you have an interesting potential Reunion Site and would like to explore being a Host, e-mail me at jwgoodspeed@gmail.com and let's talk about it.

Regards.........................Jim

Jim Goodspeed
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: ON TO NEW MEXICO, 2015 Reply with quote Back to top

Absent a reunion host from the EAST, let's talk about NEW MEXICO, 2015.

Santa Fe was established as a city in 1505, just seven years after Columbus landed in Hispanola. It was a city 65 years before its Florida rival and the fortress at El Morro. Santa Fe is the "hands down" oldest city in America which was settled by Europeans.

Many large cities prospered in our Southwest and current day Mexico during Incan and Mayan times. New Mexico has a prehistoric past that goes back to the Anasasi, "the Ancient Ones". Pueblos in New Mexico predate European arrivals on the North American continent by thousands of years.

New Mexico is a colorful land of ancient civilizations and modern events. Birthplace of the Nuclear Age, White Sands Proving Grounds witnessed the development of many of our most advanced rocket systems and the first detonation of a nuclear device.

The Sky Tram to Sandia Crest allows guests to see portions of four states and on a clear day you can see Mexico. The Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta is the most photographed event in America. The Sabbath Market in Santa Fe is American's oldest, continuous, open air market. The Pueblos at Taos have been continuously occupied since before Christ's birth.

New Mexico reaches from near Sea level to over 11,000 feet in its Northern Rocky Mountains. New Mexican food is exotic and often quite hot. Strings of chilies are hung to dry almost everywhere. You will need to decide whether you prefer red or green sauce and will not go home without developing an appreciation for both. This debate often sparks a lively discussion.

Dee and I travel often in New Mexico and cherish the dry warm Winters. We avoid the Summer Monsoon. Long Island just witnessed the Eastern advance of one of these desert born depressions. Flash flooding is common during the Monsoon.

Spring often comes early ( February) in New Mexico and the desert blooms in a surprising array of colors.

See you in New Mexico in 2015........................Jim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index -> Reunion Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: