USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index USS Basilone DD/DDE824
The Official Site of the USS Basilone

2 Trees...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index -> Lies and Tall Tales (i.e. Fishing)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Elliott
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: 2 Trees... Reply with quote Back to top

This is the story of the felling of two trees in the Yard of my wife's parents.
One tree was a pine approx. 75-80 feet tall and about 43 inches in circumference - at the entrance to the drive way, 6 1/2 feet from the street, with power and phone lines within the fall zone as well as three houses.
The tree had to be dropped within a 15 foot wide corridor in the yard.
There was no room for error.

When the decision to take it down was made, my farther in law (Norm) went out and bought a WEN 14" electric chain saw ... then told me he bought a "chainsaw" & he was ready to go. Rolling Eyes
When I came down there the following Saturday morning, and saw what he'd bought, I was less than enthusiastic about its ability to do much besides trim some small branches, but - he was the boss and I was the laborer.
He had never taken a tree down in his life, and well… I had - many times, but nothing as tight or as prone to disaster as this had the potential to be.
All the implements of destruction were made ready and ladders and ropes were set and rigged.
The ladder, a 20’ aluminum extension, I set against the trunk and started to trim the branches off, while Norm gathered them and piled them up in the back of the yard.
As we were cutting and hauling - a neighborhood ‘watch’ was beginning to form. The residents of the two houses nearest and some passersby were stopping to see what was about. This had no effect on Norm and myself, lumberjacks that we were.
But - as I slowly worked my way up the tree, I noticed that we had quite an audience.
Once I had gone as far as the ladder would reach, I started leaving stubs of the branches as footers so that I could tie a rope around my waist and the tree trunk and continue branching until I was about ¾ of the way up the tree.

I came down to survey - and decided that we didn’t have enough rope to tie off the top, and pull in the direction I wanted to fell it, so I decided to top it first.

As this was the better idea - our audience had grown to include representative of the Law Enforcement, who approached me with concern that I was about to have a serious problem if this didn’t go as planned.
I assured this gentleman that I knew what I was doing and that he could best serve by controlling the crowd!
Keep people away and in general, Mind his own business. I’m sure that this was his first conversation with a KY Hillbilly, and I think he was not too sure of himself at this point…he took my suggestion and did his job.

After a cold beer and much deliberation with Norm, up the tree I went with rope and chainsaw and extension chord.
Now - here we go. I took the rope and went up as far as I could and tied it, Norm took the other end and stood at the ready.
I tied myself off to the trunk, with about 15’ of tree top above me, and made my first incision on the opposite side of the direction of fall I intended. I could hear mumblings below in between cuts, but paid them no mind.
After making the proper notch - I yelled down to Norm to start pulling - and as he did, I positioned myself so that if the top slid it wouldn’t take me with it and made the finial cut.
The top came down exactly in the middle of the 15’ space and the crowd gave me an OHHHHH….
To which I doffed my hat!
I came down, helped haul off the top, and had another cold beer and the crowd dispersed, along with the constable, and the only witnesses left were the neighbors.
The Stem - I fell exactly where I wanted it - without any trouble at all.
Norm was amazed, as well as the neighbors.
The saw - was not big enough to cut the trunk in one cut - so it required some fancy hacking to get it notched right, but we got ‘er done.

Now - the Willow....
This tree was in the back corner of the yard, and it was a big one!!!
There was Norms garage that had to be considered, two fences and a shed in the fall zone.
Not to mention this tree had to be fell in the same space as the Pine.
We went about this in the same mannor as the pine - with the exception of two additional bodies.
These were Norm's nephews - and heavy weights as well.
I would say Claude weighed in at 250 and Pierre at that or better.
This progressed well as triming the branches went and when the main trunk and the three or four largest branches were all that was left - we needed the assistance of the Heavy Weights.
All this was done without incident until we got the the last and biggest branch - and naturally this one was over the fences, and had to be pulled away or it would take out a good 25 feet of the neighbors NEW Stockade...
As hinde sight goes, I know I should have just cut it in pieces, but I was tired, and in a hurry and tied it off and told the Heavy's to PULL when I gave the word.
Well - I cut it - and they Pulled - and so did the branch - it picked these guy's up and slammed them into that stockage fence before they had a chance to let go of the rope - the branch came down right square in the middle of the fence and took out a good 20 feet of it and one fence pole.
After that - we called it a day and sat down to a couple of six packs...
Yes - the next day we fell the rest of it and thanks to Norm's 78 LeBaron and a 100' of rope, the stem dropped exactly where we wanted it and it took a couple of days to cut it all up and haul it off.
A month later - we repaired the fence and put up a New 6' stockade fence around Norms yard pickett by pickett that's how he wanted it...that was Some Summer and that Stockade fence ... is still up!
I thought about writting a testimonial to WEN about thier 14" electric chain-saw...but never did...I still have it - it still works, But has been retired for about 10 years now.

Pynke
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You told me about the pine when we passed around a video of a couple cutting down a tree and it fell on there truck. I still haven't cut that rain tree down yet. Now I have a magnolia that apparently was poisoned some how last fall and has to be removed.
"Quis custodiet ipos custodes?"

Jim Elliott
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If I was your neighbor - I offer to do it... Laughing
...I just want to know?
Do you still have the Ranger???
Can I borrow it? Twisted Evil

Jim Elliott
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh and I forgot this...
The neighbor who's yard we had to use to cut and haul from, in back of Norm...as we were cutting this monster, came out of his house and walked down watched us for a little while...
Then he says to Norm:
"Don't you think you ought to have 'tree' guys to do this."
Norm - never missed a beat and replied;
"I got 'tree' guys, and holds up three fingers.." Laughing
The neighbor shook his head - did an about face and went back in the house.
Fall River slang...
Tree-3
Paddayda-Potato...etc... Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index -> Lies and Tall Tales (i.e. Fishing) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: