USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index USS Basilone DD/DDE824
The Official Site of the USS Basilone

Happy Memorial Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index -> Homepage Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris
Ships Store Keeper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Happy Memorial Day Reply with quote Back to top

A Happy Memorial Day to all.

In NYC where I live we have on every Memorial Day what we call Fleet Week. Normally we have a bunch of tincans and some other major surface ships. This year the USS JFK is in port. For me it brings back a lot of memories of days
spent in the Med following her around. When I hear talk of her being decommissioned I feel even older then I am. If I remember right when I first saw her in (I think) 1970 I was told she was new. Not only that but her 5000 men and
women that server on her are all over the city. I look at them and have to think to myself &quot;did I really look like that at one time&quot;.</p>
<p>On this Memorial as on all past Memorial Days, as vets, we all know it is more then a day off from work We remember all who have defended our great country and to those who gave up their life for their Country. You do not have to be a combat vet to be remember and honored. To have answer the call and to have been ready to carry out the orders given is more then a lot of men in this day and age do. </p><p>I came across a article written by a member that made me stop to compose myself before reading the entire piece. Ken Hummel is the author and the article can be found at his <a href="http://4rvetsracing.sports.officelive.com/CaliforniaVVMemorial.aspx">
site</a>. When I was talking with Ken through email he told me this piece made it all the way to Washington DC&nbsp; .....He also related a story to me here is, in his own words.
<span class="postbody">&quot;I had a lady call me to thank me for the article for it would be the first Memorial Day that she would be able to get through the day without a tear, because it insured her that an experience she had at her son's funeral 5 years before. He was a Vet that died to Agent Orange, and at the services, she watched a man walk down the sidewalk to their service, a man she had never seen before, and he came and stood beside her for a moment. This man made the statement to her, &quot;Don't worry mom, Im alright!&quot;</span></p><p><span class="postbody">Please take the time to read it and maybe drop Ken a email or private message. </span></p>
<p><span class="postbody">&nbsp;</span></p></body>

05-25-07
Now that some of the older posts on the Home Page have been Archived, this comes back to the top and makes it more noticable when you come here.

Even though Bobby posted this 2 years ago, it still fits, as with most things associated with the holidays celebrating our country and its' heros past.

If you have not done so, or have not done in awhile, visit Kens' 'site' by clicking on the link above. Those of us who were at the 'Placerville' reunion will recognize it. A very beautiful and moving place.

And enjoy this week end and as I am sure all of us do, remember and pray for our fellow shipmates and all other commrades in harms way.
If a day goes by that you have not learned something, you have wasted that day!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index -> Homepage Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: