USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index USS Basilone DD/DDE824
The Official Site of the USS Basilone

Boiler Technician/ Boiler Tender/ Water Tender (BT)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index -> Muster for Working Party
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Talamo
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Boiler Technician/ Boiler Tender/ Water Tender (BT) Reply with quote Back to top

The good old BTs .... remember something with out them you would never, ever go on a cruise. It all starts down in the firerooms. I would think different types of ships have different responsibilities, so i will talk only about a DD, A Gearing class.

A BT is responiable for the safe operation of the ships Boilers, Valves, HP steam piping, all pumps and equiment in the fireroom space. Also maintenance off all this equipment. Maintaining the Planned Maintenance System and ordering supplies for all maintenance and maintaining records. The testing and treating of feedwater. When taking on fuel other then Navy Special the testing of this fuel at to viscosity, fire and flashpoint There is also a link between the BTs and Buships (SP) BTs also refuel the ship being responiable for the correct filling of the ships fuel bunkers, Maintaining trim.
I forgot one very important thing ... making your BTC happy ... very important he is happy at all times ... in fact in a Low water caselty drill .. the correct answer to what do you do if you run low water in the boiler is, secure fires, lift safeties by hand, make a fresh pot of coffee and then call the BTC .... Wink

I'm sure with all the BTs on this site there will more added to this ...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Jim Elliott
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Addendum to BT's - BT post. Cool

Oil King is usually a BT...it is this mans responsibility to do the testing of Fuel and Feed water.
He is the person who actually does the soundings for triming out the Fuel and Feed whater bunkers & tanks ensuring the ship is on an even keel.

Woe unto the poor slob who lets the Basilone list!
Right Bill?

Pynke
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: list Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry to get away from the Gearings, but the battle ship with lists can be a bear when the GMs move those big bullets around. Oh yeah, they put them all on one side and knock off at 1600. The CHENG notices the list calls the Oil Lab to fix it. Transfering fuel today you have to get permission from everyone from the EPA, PETA, to the White House and it requires 50 people to watch for spills. Enough paper work to destroy a forest, by time you get started to x-fer it 1930 and getting dark and yer not allowed to do it at night so now we rush. Then the next day the GMs put the bullets back and here we go again. Liberty call at 2130.
"Quis custodiet ipos custodes?"

Bob Talamo
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

thanks for checking it Pynk .. you have seen a hell of a lot more then i did ... i only know what i learned in the 3+ years on the Basilone.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Pynke
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A historical note if you see some rates mentioned from WW II, such as on the Arizona Memorial you may see WT1, WT2, (sometimes WT1/c, WT2/c) etc that's the BTs of that time, Water Tenders. The Navy has WTs again but they are now Weapons Technicians. They work with nuke weapons, nigh on as dangerous as BTs Rolling Eyes . In the RN the equivalent is the Stoker.

Bill McCombs
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ya, did't want to have the Cheng sleeping lopsided! We were able to move oil around by Slushing. What that ment was opening a valve to a higher level tank then lining it up to a lower tank and let gravaty do the rest. I didn't like doing that because sometimes it would back fire and put more of a list on the ship. Was a real problem on the USS JFK!

Pynke
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

For the non-BTs out there who were wondering what we were talking about in the Christmas Tree Topic on the Mess Deck:
As the Chief said above on the Basilone we did what was called 'slushing'. It just used gravity flow to move oil from one tank to another. Remember a liquid seeks it's own level? There were sounding tubes that ran down the tank to used a tape measure with a heavy brass plumb bob to weight it. On the "B" there were folding brass tapes permantly fixed in many of the sounding tubes from '69-'73. Imagine the carpenters old folding 'yard sticks' about 20 ft long made of brass. They were a pain. So, what we did was open a brass cap on the tank top cover. The 'sluice valve" was right there so you controled the flow of oil. Inside the tank was a ladder, for tank inspection/cleaning. We looked through the cap opening, about an inch and a half diameter hole. at the rungs, where your feet go, of the ladder and watched the oil rise up the rungs, reporting as Bob stated to the Oil Shack how many rungs the oil covered. The oil was NSFO, Navy Special Fuel Oil nothing special about it, or as we called it black oil. So it was easy to see. Once the oil covered the top rung of the ladder you used the cap which had a dip stick, yes I said a dip stick, attached to it. It was marked at like 90% and 95%. You were supposed to slow it down earlier and then close the valve at 95%.
After the Navy switched to Navy Distillate Fuel NATO number F-76, which is nothing but fancy names for diesel fuel, you had to use a stainless tape silver in colour on which you cannot see the fuel on the tape. So then baby powder was tried on the tapes, just made a mess. And the brass wonders why there are oil spills. There were tapes with holes in them hopefully to make the oil easier to see in holes. Oil in one hole and none in the one above there's your level. But remember BTs are using the tapes so most get broken off in the sounding tubes. Then they tried teflon or some other coating, for what ever reason they went away, cost?. When I was the Oil King on the Missouri in '88 we were using just the plain tape and gauges which don't work if a little smidgen of dirt or loose paint gets in the sensor. Even firing 16 inch guns won't free them. All the other ships I served on the fuel had to pumped from one tank to another.
Over all the Basilone was the easiest ship to fuel.

Jim Elliott
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

After they changed over to the 'other' fuel, I suggested to the Oil King once to spray paint the tapes flat black, every four feet or whatever... to show 'wet-ness',
I was told to mind my own business...what does an FN know ...

Bill might remember his name at the time - it was right before I left...and after a spill...

Pynke
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Jim,
They, those infamous people, made a flat black teflon (maybe not Teflon) covered tape, worked a little but "I 'r' a BT" tended to break to many. That cost thing again. Black paint would have just pealed off after the oil soaked through. The inside of fuel tanks are painted so maybe that paint might work for a while. But then again it flaked off and messed up the GEMs gauges and TLIs (tank level indicators, like what's in your motorcar). So, I defer to some one else.

Jim Elliott
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We are a little late with all this

and you're right of course...I figured it would eventually flake off - if it wasn't kept up with - but, I also recommended blue dykum

Pynke
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: BT Stuff Reply with quote Back to top

Good place for this post, in a BT section. I just noticed this morning I still have a BT tatoo on my right inner forarm. For those not of the Snipe persuasion that's a burn scar from a soot blower element. It's been 38 years but there's still a whiter than the rest of the arm oval scar there. Now BTs check your arm.

Bill McCombs
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

LOL, you know I checked my arms! But with poison ivy and bruses from working on one of my cars, I can't see those scares anymore.
Took my thumb and forefinger a while to get the prints back after Bt1 Ruth did the gage glass 1/4 thing to me.
I still have a laugh everytime I get fuel and that smell sends me back to the time I flooded After "O" !
It was a lot more fun being on the Delivering end! (Last ship I was on was the Detroit, AOE-4) Watched fuel blow out the sides of those little gas turbine FF's more than once.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    USS Basilone DD/DDE824 Forum Index -> Muster for Working Party All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: